Friday, April 27, 2012

maui day 4: revisited


I've become slightly obsessed with anything macadamia nut, pineapple, or coconut related. This morning I had macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup at Gazebo restaurant in Napili (last night I had macadamia nut ice cream--also delicious!). Good thing I surfed all afternoon to work those pancakes off.

my friend at breakfast, eyeing my pancakes

Yes, I finally got to surf today. We went to Lahaina Harbor--the waves were small but fun, and the water was so warm. A couple of local guys were out there too, and gave me some tips. Lahaina is my favorite town so far--the water is warm, the surf is fun, the people are friendly, and the town reminds me of a larger Balboa Island in Newport Beach with all the fun shops and amazing waterfront restaurants.

looks flat, but there were some small waves off the break wall to the far right

first wave caught of the day

3 hours later and happy

So we had to do the touristy thing and go to a luau, The Feast at Lele. It was a fun experience (one-time). The food was incredible--prepared by Chef James McDonald (I'O & Pacific'O). They served four courses, with each course being celebrated by a dance unique to that island. We were done by 9:00, the town shuts down around 10:00--and that is the late crowd. My kind of people!



the people on the paddle board enjoyed the show from the water

first course


journal entry, day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment