Tuesday, April 24, 2012

vacation high

Aloha!

Last week, Andrew & I took a trip to Maui. Seven days was definitely not enough time, but we did have a blast and didn't want to come home. It was so nice to get away, even just for a week.



Looking back, my expectations were super high because I have been dreaming about Hawaii since I was about 10 years old. When we arrived it was pretty, but not the Hawaii I had envisioned in my mind with the miles of white sandy beaches, palm trees, clear warm water, and bungalows. Instead we drove along a winding (and windy) highway with the waves crashing against the rocks below, and bare mountains above. Where was my tropical Hawaii? I came to find out that Maui only has 30 miles total of sandy beaches!



Once we drove through Lahaina and Ka'anapali, I started to feel better when I saw the beautiful beaches and quaint towns with their tropical gardens. When we arrived at our condo in Kahana (see the view from the lanai above in both pictures), I was thrilled to have the clear blue water and palm trees right outside our door. Even though the water in some areas was pretty chilly, it was much warmer than any water in SoCal (I wear my winter wetsuit in the summer when surfing).

After a couple of days of getting acquainted with the island and exploring, I felt right at home and didn't want to leave. My expectations had been surpassed. I kept a journal of our little vacation, and will type out my entries later. Mahalo!



1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I've been looking for blog posts about Maui to feature on our site.. and your pictures are gorgeous! If you're interested, you can drop me a line at Kate (at) Dwellable (.com)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete