Monday, April 30, 2012

maui day 6: revisited

So sad to see the end of this trip in sight. I was hoping we would both magically get jobs here, and Emma (our little wiener doggy) could be flown over to be the island mascot and bask in the sun she loves so much. But alas, we head home tomorrow (although I feel at home here too). Our last day was filled with A LOT of water and sun.


We headed south again, past Lahaina, to mile marker 14 (Olowalu) along the highway. It was extremely windy and rained on and off (I was not so happy about getting in the water), but we were told it was an amazing spot to snorkel.

olowalu

At first it was intimidating because it was so shallow and the reef came up so high. After zig zagging our way through the maze of coral in the shallow water, we found some open areas of beautiful and incredible underwater gardens. I've never seen anything like it. The fish were so colorful, and the coral so intricate and delicate looking ("looking" being the key word as I have a nicely scraped arm from one attacking me).


Because I'm a baby and hate anything resembling "cold" while I'm at the beach, we headed back up north to Ka'anapali to get some sun and swimming in. The water was so clear and refreshing. There was a nice cove at the end of the beach by Black Rock where we did some more snorkeling--not as jaw dropping, but still pretty and lots of fish to enjoy. Drew stayed out longer than me and managed to hang out with a couple of honu (sea turtles).


Taking a break from the sun, we enjoyed a farewell mai tai at the tiki bar--then headed back to the beach for a final swim.

the clear water in ka'anapali


I didn't think the clouds across the way covering the island of Molokai would break in time for the sunset, but they did and it was a beautiful one at that. The perfect end to a fun day and final night in Maui!



journal entry, day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment